Since 2009, Black Dog Riders have been raising money for mental health services across the nation, and thousands of Australians have participated in our local community projects.The awareness and funds raised by Black Dog Riders are vital in building and maintaining mental health support services throughout Australia in order to reduce the 8 tragic deaths per day to suicide in this country, and to support the estimated 180 Australians who attempt to take their life every day.
2017 Black Dog Ride’s inaugural adventure to Tasmania from every corner of the country;
THIS YEAR WE SUPPORTING EMERGENCY SERVICES AROUND AUSTRALIA
Mental Health and Suicide Amongst Serving and Ex Defence and Emergency Workers
• Suicide is the leading cause of death in Australians under the age of 45
• 8 Australians take their lives every single day, or one life is lost to suicide every 3 hours.
• It is estimated that there is a suicide attempt every ten minutes in Australia
• 292 ex or serving Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel have taken their lives since 2001
• The rate of suicide amongst ex ADF personnel is 13% higher than the general population
• Ex or serving ADF men experience PTSD at twice the rate experienced by the general Australian
• Ex or serving ADF personnel experience suicideation (thinking of suicide or making a suicide plan)
is double that experienced in the general Australian community
• 110 ex or serving emergency workers (Police, Fire, Paramedics) have taken their lives since 2001
• A diagnosis of depression was made in a third of the suicides of ex or serving emergency workers
• Statistics around suicides of ex or serving defence and emergency workers are difficult to
establish as the former employment of the deceased may not be disclosed to coroners
24hrs, 7days, 365 days a year saving lives and taking care of others that’s what our Emergency Service & Defense Workers do,
So time to pay it back, show our Thanks & Support!!!!!!
“EVEN HEROES NEED A HAND”